Metfield celebrated the millennium in a number of ways:
- In the darkness of the evening of Friday 31 December 1999, villagers lit their own registered beacon to see in the new millennium.
- A group of residents created The Family Millennium Wood, planting one tree for each family living in the parish in the year 2000.
- A millennium map, beautifully designed and recording the surnames of families living in the village at the time, was given to each household.
- A time capsule was buried by village children in the churchyard by the base of the tower, filled with items supplied by the girl guides.
- A local writer, Frances Donnelly, was commissioned to write a millennium play for performance by local talent in the village hall.
A bit of history
Lord of the Manor
Publication of METFIELD Tales From a Suffolk Village 1928–2017