Post-war Metfield

Following the war years, as more money became available, the village was provided with sewage, electricity, water and telephones. Many of the houses and cottages were renovated. But, in the late sixties, farm labourers left the land in droves to work in the newly built factories. Modern farm machinery – being more efficient – required fewer men to operate it.

In the early 1600s, many had emigrated from this area to seek a new life in New England. Colony settlers took local village and town names with them. In the 1990s, there were exchange visits between Metfield and its sister parish Medfield, Massachusetts.

A bit of history
Lord of the Manor
The church

2000 and beyond
Village shop
Publication of METFIELD Tales From a Suffolk Village 1928–2017