The manorial Jermy family lived in the village for over 300 years. Sir John Jermy was granted the title of Lord of the Manor in 1325. He owned Metfield Hall and arable and common land. Other wealthy landowners included the Adair, Henniker and Micklethwaite families. These families owned most of the land, farmhouses and cottages that were rented to tenant farmers.
Famers and labourers would have had to pay tithes (a tenth of their crops) to the landowners and the church, despite having barely enough to feed their own families.
For those in dire need, the Poor House (now School House) took in paupers who could not clothe or support themselves.
A bit of history
2000 and beyond
Publication of METFIELD Tales From a Suffolk Village 1928–2017